The project major activities are summarized here:
- Replacing the pilot homes existing furnaces with brand new high-energy efficient furnaces from different HVAC manufacturers.
- Replacing the pilot homes existing ACs with brand new high energy efficient conventional heat pumps (ASHPs) from different HVAC manufacturers
- Replacing the existing thermostats with smart internet-connected thermostats from different brands.
- Installing energy metering sensors include a gas flow sub-meter, two watt–meters, indoor/outdoor temperature and humidity sensors and a data logger system at each participating/pilot home.
- Launching a cloud computing server for running Smart Fuel Switching Controller (SFSC) for each participant home.
- Connecting the smart thermostats to the BKR cloud computing server to implement SFSC controller.
- Launching BKR Energy portal for project administration, validation, and reporting.
- Launching BKR Energy dashboard to depict the project saving results to the homeowners.
The scope of this demonstration projects is to validate the BKR Energy cloud platform in four Enbridge Gas employees’ homes. These homes are intentionally chosen in different locations in Ontario. Having participating homes scattered across Ontario, will clearly highlight the effectiveness of BKR cloud-based technology by running this technology in different geographical and weather conditions. In order to make more diversity, participating homes are selected based on various sizes and thermal characteristics.